9.02.2007

notes on biking in Seattle




So I was in Seattle a few weeks ago, and meant to do a series of Seattle posts right when I got back, but, well.... you know how it goes. Anyways, two great things about the above image: first, the bike parking was pretty nice. Apparently these used to be parking meters, but the metering on that street was replaced by a single electronic meter that serves the whole street. So instead of ripping out all the old parking meters entirely, they just chopped off the tops and added these cute bicycle symbols, that cyclists can lock to. Being convenient, good-looking, obvious, and based on the principle of re-purposing existing infrastructure gets this bike rack major props here. The only downside was that they were only good for one or two bikes.


Great thing #2 about the above picture: that's a rental bicycle! That's right, the great folks at Montlake Bicycle Shop hooked me up with a very nice rental bike for a few days. I got several compliments on it, everyone was suprised that it was a rental. I completely recommend renting a bike as a great way to see the city- you're not at the mercy of the bus schedule, and you get a better view of many of Seattle's natural wonders than either pedestrians or motorists do. Plus, all that exercise lets you try tasty treats from Pike Place market guilt-free! So all in all, it was a great trip and I logged in lots of miles. I hope to post more later, particularly about some of the parks I saw there.

1 comment:

Yokota Fritz said...

The city of Boulder, Colorado equips all of their parking meters with bike parking rings, so all of the meters double as free bike parking.

I almost always rent a bike to get around when I travel. It's a mixed bag -- cheap hybrids are universal, but I'm sometimes able to rent nice bikes. I call ahead, and my employer reimburses me for the rental (in lieu of car rental) if I'm traveling on business.